Five men and women representing each branch of the U.S. military were honored Tuesday night for their exemplary service during the 2015 Military Times Service Member of the Year Awards.
The 15th annual event was held in Washington, D.C., with members of Congress and senior Pentagon officials in attendance. General Motors has been a corporate sponsor of the event for more than 10 years.
“These five men and women represent the character, commitment and values of the U.S. military,” said GM Chief Diversity Officer Ken Barrett, a retired Navy captain.
The award winners are:
- Staff Sgt. Joseph Fontenot, U.S. Army, Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Staff Sgt. Zachary Rubart, U.S. Marines, Washington, D.C.
- Hospital Corpsman Third Class Sara Freeman, U.S. Navy, Norfolk, Va.
- Senior Airman Joseph Moreland, U.S. Air Force, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician Second Class Lee Biladeau, U.S. Coast Guard, Traverse City, Mich.